1. I am not dead! But I have been pathetically quiet lately, due to the typey parts of my brain being busy with TWO honking great book deadlines.
2. I have met my deadlines! Both of them! Whole bookfuls of words with beginnings and middles and ends and everything.
3. EXCITING NEW BIT: one of the books even has a shiny new title! The Series Formerly Known as Mermaid Girls (which you may have encountered me waffling about here) is not being called that, because that’s a stupid name for a book that doesn’t actually have any mermaids in it. (I know. One day I will get better at titles.) Luckily, the kind people at Random House did the hard bit for me, and the first book in the series will be called…
PEA’S BOOK OF BEST FRIENDS.
Isn’t it lovely? I’d read that. There will be a second Pea’s Book out in 2012 too, and another one after that. I haven’t written them yet. This is not at all scary. LOOK AT THE BALLOON. KEEP LOOKING AT THE BALLOON.
4. I have been on holiday! To Corfe Castle in Dorset, which is allegedly the template for Kirrin Castle in the Famous Five stories.
I was with littlest niece SP and littlest nephew ESP and their lovely parentals, which meant lots of sandcastles and picture books and MONKEY WORLD, and grown-up conversation in the evenings. It was ACE.
5. There is no number 5. Or rather, there are a billion number 5s because I haven’t blogged in ages, and have since read many lovable things (Cat Clarke and Liz Kessler and Ally Carter and Keris Stainton and a Cory Doctorow from 2003 that is so entirely about e-publishing right now this second that it makes your head hurt), and watched much intriguing telly (New Doctor Who, and New Torchwood, and The Shadow Line (oh Gatehouse, my Gatehouse), and loads of Fringe, and insane amounts of Leverage, several times over), and exciting things have occurred like my kitchen no longer being painted Angry Daffodil, and the discovery that Bananagrams is the best. game. ever. until really whittling them down to one would be silly.
So. Five things. Ish. LOOK AT THE BALLOON!